Sep 24, 2011

Haitian Hot Chocolate

Haitian Hot Chocolate
A month ago I went to Haiti and I brought back with me some raw Haitian chocolate. I set about making the real deal this morning, hot chocolate Haitian style. No hot water or little packets of cocoa powder were involved in the making of my hot chocolate.  Roasted and stoned ground Haitian Criollo cocoa beans were the stars of my hot chocolate which I sweeten with unrefined organic brown sugar.

1. I poured water in a heavy-based saucepan and boil it over medium heat for five minutes.  Then I added cinnamon sticks, pure cocoa balls or to the boiling water. I boiled the mixture for 15 minutes or until the cocoa balls are completely dissolved. I  removed the mixture from heat then strained it.

2. I later returner the pot of strained chocolate to low medium heat; add almond extract,  milk, and sugar then stir. When it reached the desired sweetness, I mixed some flour with water and slowly added it the simmering chocolate to add  consistency. 

When ready, I serve the  hot chocolate with buttered toast. Sipping on a cup of Haitian hot chocolate with toast really reminds me of home!

Ingredients
1/2 cup grated Haitian cocoa sticks or balls
2 cups water
1 cup milk(I like it best with carnation evaporate milk)
Sugar to sweeten
Vanilla
Cinnamon sticks, or anise
Tablespoon of flour

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try your recipe. We usually use milk at home when making it.

Anonymous said...

Howdy would you care stating which weblog platform you're utilizing ? I'm scouting around to initiate my own web page quickly but I'm going through a hard time figuring out between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution along with Drupal. The reason I ask is because your model appears atypical when in comparison to
nearly all sites as pleasantly as I'm hoping for something exclusive. P.S I am apologetic for being off-subject but I needed to inquire!

Before I go, give permission me thank you for your tolerance with my English as (I'm certain you have become aware this at this moment ,), English is not my mother tongue consequently I am utilizing Google Translate to figure out what to record what I really want to say.

said...

I used blogger it is user friendly and it let you customize your blog to a certain extinct. Some people prefere Wordpress or Typepad,however. If you are new to blogging go with either blogger or Wordpress. Hope this help, good luck.

Anonymous said...

would you also know how to make pain du riz?

said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
said...

Yes i do know how to make "pain de riz." Let me know if you would like my recipe.

Canela said...

yes!!!

said...

@canela I bought the ingredients to make pain de riz today. I am going to make it so that I can take pictures of the finish product for a post( will post this coming Monday).

Canela said...

YAAYYY thanks so much can't wait to see your results and i can't wait to make it

Canela said...

i've been coming back in search for the ingredients but nothing to be posted yet. i will check again tomorrow

said...

@ Canela I am so sorry I did not post the recipe as I promised you; I was a bit busy this week. It is now posted and I hope you like it. The bread is really yummy when toasted (FYI :} )

Haitian Girl said...

Hi Laurie,

I am Haitian and have been drinking hot chocolate for years and it was never made with water and flour. I am not sure where in Haiti you had the hot chocolate, but you may have been dupped. Your recipe should read like this:

Pour 3 cups milk in a heavy-based saucepan with cinnamon sticks and star anise and bring it to a boil, then lowered heat to a simmer. Then add the grated chocolate to the milk mixture. Let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes or until the cocoa is dissolved completely. Add vanilla and sugar to taste. Remove the mixture from heat then strain it.

When ready, I serve the hot chocolate with buttered toast. Sipping on a cup of Haitian hot chocolate with toast really reminds me of home!


Ingredients
1/2 cup grated Haitian cocoa sticks or balls
3 cups milk
Sugar to sweeten
Vanilla
Cinnamon sticks, or anise (or both)

Haitian Girl said...

Hi Laurie,

i am Haitian and have been drinking chocolate for all of my life and it has never been made with water or flour. Try my mothers recipe. I am not sure where in Haiti you had the chocolate, but feel that you have beed fooled.

Pour 3 cups milk in a heavy-based saucepan with cinnamon sticks and star anise and bring it to a boil, then lowered heat to a simmer. Then add the grated chocolate to the milk mixture. Let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes or until the cocoa is dissolved completely. Add vanilla and sugar to taste. Remove the mixture from heat then strain it.

When ready, I serve the hot chocolate with buttered toast. Sipping on a cup of Haitian hot chocolate with toast really reminds me of home!

Ingredients
1/2 cup grated Haitian cocoa sticks or balls
3 cups milk
Sugar to sweeten
Vanilla
Cinnamon sticks, or anise (or both)

said...

Hi Haitian,
Thanks for sharing you recipe with us. It sounds really yummy.